Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Long and Winding Road

So, the Peace Corps Madagascar program was suspended last week, and all volunteers were brought to South Africa ("JoBurg"). It has been a wild and crazy experience; I never thought I would see a military takeover on my peaceful island. In fact, much of Madagascar remains calm and normal. But the events in Tana were too much for the US Mission, so all personnel were evacuated (that sounds like potty humor). I will write more on the whole situation soon, but I have been frantically trying to "COS", or Close of Service, and end my Peace Corps career (for now at least). For a while I was pursuing a transfer to another Peace Corps country in Africa, and two great options were available (Tanzania and Zambia). But the available spots were limited and competition was fierce, and to start over in a country other than Madagascar would be tough. So instead I am taking a brief vacation, a 4day safari here in South Africa, and then flying back to the US. In fact, I should be in the Greater DC area by Thursday. Once I have full internet capabilities again, I should be able to expand upon the escalation of the crisis (wow... things really escalated quickly -anchorman).

In the meantime, there are lots of pictures on the right hand column here, and tons on other people's pages.

Finally, I led a facial hair movement to bring peace and stability to Madagascar. Beards not Bullets. Stubble Not Trouble. Staches Not Clashes. or as a friend put it, Sacrificing Practicality for Peace. The campaign failed, but the end result here in South Africa was pretty outrageous. Pics to follow.

PEACE

2 comments:

  1. It will be great to have you back! Spring is here....Baseball starting..
    .. and Gillette will be happy to supply you with what you need!
    See you soon!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit. Really sorry to hear about that man. I couldn´t imagine having to start over in another country either. Let me know what´s going on when you get on your feet in DC. And post pictures of the facial hair campaign. The latter item being the most important, naturally.

    ReplyDelete