Thursday, August 16, 2012

What I've Been Reading: War is a Racket

In keeping with my recent theme of "how have I not read this yet?!," I recently came across this gem: War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier. It is a brief write-up by Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler of the USMC. The reason I am surprised I have not read it is because this man is the protagonist of one of my favorite historical quotes:
I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
So you might have thought I would've come across this classic treatise against war-profiteering before now. You should be able to find the text online for free, but this book format included lots of context in the introduction, including details of a surprising plot that, as a history nerd I really should know more about - the 1935 "Fascist plot" to overthrow the United States government. And, for that matter, the Bonus Army march on Washington. The introduction ends with: "War is a Racket! remains an astonishing reminder that America once stood for constitutional principles and not power-enhanced greed."

Like Ike's departing presidential speech warning against the military-industrial complex, this book of profiteering corporations and blood-money is surprisingly relevant in the modern world. Butler wrote of leather companies selling thousands of saddles to Uncle Sam despite a distinct lack of American cavalry in World War I Europe. Such tales have been told throughout history, yet it was the solution he saw that seems to resonate the most. He spoke of the only way to truly end war:
Well-meaning but impractical groups can't wipe it out by resolutions. It can be smashed effectively only by taking the profit out of war.
Preaching ideas which have support (and disdain) on both sides of the American political divide today, Butler was not so much a pacifist as he was an isolationist. Strength at home, common-sense neutrality, and laws forbidding US troops on foreign shores were the hallmarks of his foreign policy beliefs. His ideas may seem difficult to apply in the modern world, or impractical, or out-of-touch, but they are well worth thinking about.

Finally, maybe the (quick) read is too much for you. In that case, I believe the book was adapted from this speech, which is perhaps more powerful anyways. Check it out:

To Hell With War!

No comments:

Post a Comment