Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Videos - Poverty Action Advertisements?

This past week, with family visiting for graduation, I was riding in NYC taxicabs quite a bit. During these travels, I saw an interesting series of ads played on the tv screens in the back seat: ads for Innovations for Poverty Action. I was a bit surprised to see these ads, because while fundraising campaigns for non-profits are common throughout the city, IPA has been a bit quieter than most. Also, I thought it might be tougher for them to raise funds, as they do not implement many programs but instead focus on evaluating existing programs to see what works. They, along with JPAL, are the primary performers of impact evaluations for international (and domestic) development projects as promoted by the must-read development book Poor Economics (which I eventually read last summer). Anyways, the ads certainly stand out from others, though I have not decided if I like them or not. But I am curious to learn what the intended audience (aka potential donors) think. So take a look!




Those pamphleteers have to be IPA employees, right?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the one where they trash other NGOs. It's also way too simplistic. There are ways to promote your cause without resorting to mudslinging.

    ReplyDelete