Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ethiopia was, and is, a fascinating place

When I traveled briefly in Ethiopia a few years ago, I was impressed by many things... but what impressed me the most was how much everyone knew about their country's impressive (and lengthy) history. Here is what I wrote upon my return:
The pride that the Ethiopian people have for their country is impressive. In Mekele, for example, I saw two working-class Ethiopians who had saved up money just to travel to the north from Addis and see the remains of palaces and bask in their inherited history.
This is probably not too surprising given the country's history and proud traditions, but it was pretty cool nevertheless. I was reminded of this when I read Richard Dowden's excellent article, "Ethiopia’s historic self-confidence writ large in the monastery at Debre Damo." (On the always-interesting African Arguments). Here is a bit:
Ethiopia is old. It was a powerful well-organised state when Britain was inhabited by warring tribes living in mud huts. It was Christian long before most of Europe. Going back further, the Steeles at Aksum are 300 BC. They make Stonehenge look crude
I encourage you to read the article... and maybe take an interest in modern Ethiopia as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment