Friday, September 12, 2008

Grew a Mustache and a Mullet

(Written 8-23-2008)

Well we had our In-Service Training, and I saw my fellow volunteers from training. I did indeed grow a mustache, although not a mullet (but my hair, when pulled back by a bandana, sort of resembles one). A few other volunteers also partook, and the range of different mustaches was fantastic. Also, ridiculous t-shirts were in abundance. Seeing everyone again was awesome, even if they all have accomplished much more than me already! During this training, we exchanged stories and learned new skills (like how to get funding for projects – now I just need to find a good project!). One session focused on beekeeping, a practice I thought would be fun to implement at site, at least until I was covered in bees and getting some nice stings. We were told to respect the bees and remain calm, but when they swarm you, inside and outside your clothing, that can be a difficult task. But a few stings are nothing compared to the delicious honey we harvested. Perhaps I can help people with beekeeping after all – To the Bee Mobile! (…You mean your Chevy?)
We also visited a cool organization called Tefy Saina. They pioneered SRI (the System of Rice Intensification), a way of increasing rice yields by better planting methods. But what I really liked was their appropriate technology gadgets. Much like at Akany Avoko, Tefy Saina has found ways to adapt everyday materials to suit all sorts of purposes: a stair-master-esque water pump, a water filter using charcoal, a hand operated washing machine… It was all very cool. You can check them out at www.tefysaina.org
Speaking of NGOs here in Madagascar, two of my friends are working at cool-sounding organizations. Reef Doctors, on the west coast, focuses on protecting the maritime reserves and coral reef environment. Azafady, in the south, has all sorts of projects focusing on environmental protection. I think both offer programs for volunteers to come to Madagascar and work for a few months, so if you are looking for a wild vacation, I would certainly welcome the chance to come see you (and my fellow vols), and you can begin to see some of what we are experiencing here!
Now for a few shout-outs, as I received lots of goodies lately. Thanks to Jen, who sent cds to help me stay sane(-ish), and among other goodies, pictures of friends, even before I had requested them! (I was impressed to, Jen). Bob and Doug, thanks for the reading materials! And of course the family too (my mom sent rice, of all things, as if I don’t get enough… but still wonderful!). And to all who have written too, I greatly appreciate it, and I am working hard to get back to all of you! The ladies at the Post Office are getting tired of seeing me all the time to send letters.
One common theme I have noticed in the letters is a variation on the phrase “You sound like you are having the best time!” While I certainly am, I hope I have not painted too rosy of a picture of my experience. For the most part I tell the good (or hopefully funny) stories here, but it has been a very difficult experience overall. Even after 3 months or so living in my community, I am still an outsider. I guess most days have lots of ups and downs, but it is certainly the good memories that last (and that I want to share with all of you). So if you receive a letter from me that is less positive, it is probably just my way of venting after a particularly tough day. This site we will keep positive, and hopefully entertaining!
Okay, one quick tale of transportation fun in Madagascar. On my way to my training, I had a 4 hour ride in the covered bed of a pickup with 30 other people. Yes, I counted. There were others in the cab, and still a few more brave souls on top. Somehow, it was surprisingly comfortable for me, since I could hang my legs out the back rather than have them crammed between seats. But the ride also featured a trait I have often noticed here: The chain-reaction boot. One person, usually a child (and sometimes a child who is in the middle of breast-feeding), will throw-up from the rough ride. Almost instantaneously, others will vomit as well. Usually it is little more than rice (what else!?) and contained by a cloth or bag. It is no big deal, and everyone goes about their business, cleaning up the puke at the next stop. So far I have been immune to the chain-reaction, but I enjoy the spectacle. After all, don’t be afraid!
I returned from training with more technical books, project ideas, a large bag of condoms (for AIDS awareness and education trainings!), plans to help with a SIDA (the French acronym for AIDS) bike race in Tamatave in October, and a Girls Camp in November. Oh, and some parasy. Parasy are little parasites that burrow into your feet and lay eggs, and look sort of like a blister. I had not gotten any at site (well, maybe one, I’m not sure what one pussy mess was), but during training I discovered one under the “knuckle” of my big toe. I had to pick it out, by digging under it with a pin or knife, but it doesn’t hurt. You have to becareful not to pop the eggsack though… which of course I did, and managed to ooze it out everywhere. No pain, but gross. Madagascar – no large dangerous animals, but plenty of random parasites and strange diseases! I’ll keep you posted if I encounter any more.

1 comment: