Monday, May 2, 2011

Into the Woods

I recently returned from a two week sojourn to my old village, Antanandava, where I worked for two weeks in the Zahamena National Park. I worked with another PCV and the park service on improving trails and campsites in the park. We spent most of our time during these two weeks chopping through trees that had fallen across the path, cutting brush obstructing the trail, and building structures to improve the tourist’s experience (these structures included a bench and a bridge project, all of which were made from only trees, vines and rocks found in the forest). I took some photos of the experience:

Tom, my fellow PCV, and me posing on a hilltop during our hike to the forest (with my old village in the background) ... note the sweet facial hair, crucial for any extended forest trip!

Chopping one of the many fallen trees blocking the trail

Tom and I on a bench we built from logs and vines (no nails!) and showing off our daily lunch, clif bars and gatorade mixes.


And atop the bridge we built across dangerous rapids and rocks at our campsite (again, just rocks, trees and vines)



Into the woods to sell the cow--
Into the woods to get the money--
Into the woods to lift the spell-
To make the potion--
To go to the Festival--
Into the woods to Grandmother's house...

1 comment:

  1. I remember that waterfall ledge being slippery. Or maybe I am a pansy...

    ReplyDelete